Coronavirus: update 28 March 1 p.m.
This article is updated every day at 1 p.m. or more frequently if the situation calls for it. The FAQ below is revised in response to questions from inside or outside the University.
- 28 March: There are currently no updates.
- This Monday, we are recording a special Q&A podcast with rector Cisca Wijmenga. We’ll discuss how the corona crisis has impacted life and work at the University and what the effects are for students, researchers and everyone at UG. Do you have a question for the rector? Please let us know and send it to podcast rug.nl before Monday at noon.
- Extra BSA information added to Student Portal.
- Clarification: The UG switched to online teaching and examinations until the end of this academic year. This therefore means that remote teaching and testing applies to the whole of block 3 and block 4. In addition, our buildings will remain closed at least until 10 April 2020. Information about this was previously shared on the Student Portal, and on My University.
- Staff can find information about working conditions and tips for working from home on My University.
- 24 March: A new question has been added regarding the additional measures that were introduced by the Dutch government on 23 March.
- Important information for all UG staff and students currently abroad published at Student Portal for students and My University for staff.
- Practical information about online education and examinations published for staff at My University.
- 20 March: Important information from the Board of the University for all Staff at My University.
- 20 March: Important information for all UG students about the academic year, exams and the BSA.
- Previous updates
The coronavirus outbreak began in the Wuhan region of China in December 2019. The virus can cause COVID-19 disease. The UG is keeping a close eye on the developments and follows the advice and measures of the Netherlands National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Here is the FAQ:
Useful websites and contact information
For more information on the coronavirus and possible prevention measures, we refer to the following websites:
- RIVM – current information
- RIVM – spreading of the virus
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Travel advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Information from the Ministry of Education
- UMCG – measures
- GGD Groningen
- GGD Fryslân (Leeuwarden)
If you need help or have any questions about health or travel that are not answered on these websites,
- staff can contact the Health, Safety and Environment service (AMD) of the UG at amd rug.nl
- students can contact the Student Information desk: study rug.nl, tel. +31 50-3638004.
- 19 March: The Board of the University has decided that with immediate effect, all overseas travel by staff and students is prohibited. In other words, overseas travel is no longer permitted and this is applicable until 10 April, but could be extended (subject to decisions by the central government). Information about living/staying abroad has been added to the FAQ.
- 17 March: Information for international students and international staff available via the Student Portal for students and My University for staff.
- 15 March: Very limited UG opening hours until 10 April. Information for students is available via the Student Portal . For staff via My University.
- 13 March: Information about working and studying online is now available. For students via the Student Portal. For staff via My University.
- 12 March: The UG takes measures to contain the coronavirus: All teaching, exams and large events cancelled until 10 April, and where possible, teaching and exams online.
- 12 March: Teaching activities with UMCG staff temporarily cancelled.
- 12 March: Added question - The Faculty of Medical Sciences/UMCG has cancelled all educational meetings with UMCG teachers until 4 April. Why are the classes of other faculties in the same building (ADL1) continuing?
- 10 March: Added question - What policy is UG following now the number of coronavirus cases and concerns are increasing?
- 9 March: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has amended the travel advice for Italy. In the region of Lombardy and the provinces of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro-Urbino, Alessandria, Asti, Novara, Verbano Cussio Ossola, Vercelli, Padova, Treviso and Venice the colour has changed from 'orange' (only necessary trips) to 'red' (no trips at all) . Departure from these provinces is possible for foreign tourists. Further information can be found on the website of The Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 7 March: Information from UMCG for Vindicat-members has been added. The Municipal Public Health Service has also published a press release about the return of Vindicat in Groningen (Dutch only).
|Last modified:||28 March 2020 1.03 p.m.|